Minutes of HDCF meeting 5th February 2019


Philip Ayerst, Geoff Bragg, Thea Bredie, Ruth Fletcher (Chair), Eric Gimber, Michael Gimber, Louise Skipton-Carter, Francis Vernon

Apologies: Richard Bates, Stella Sharp, Peter Silburn (Secretary), Mark Treasure


Sussex Growth Deal

There is a Horsham Growth Deal which was signed in Nov 2018. It is a joint exercise between WSCC and HDC with LEP funding. It focuses on the Hurst Road redevelopment, Novartis and the Fire Station. Marie Ovenden is the contact. Louise and Ruth to contact Marie.


A number of people have recently contacted us via our dormant Facebook page. We have a strong Twitter presence but few people are on Twitter compared with Facebook. Francis to consider options for making active use of Facebook.

Warnham cycle route

Thea to follow up progress on plans to deliver the new cycle route/bridleway.

Road Safety Action Group

Meeting appear to be stalling. We hope to attend if another meeting takes place. Thea to follow up.

Hop Oast roundabout cycle gap

Philip to follow up regarding the safety audit.

Bee a Champion

Ruth to circulate Brian Deegan’s training notes for the Manchester Beelines cycle champions.

Chesworth Farm Plan

Proposals to provide cycle stands at Chesworth have been doing the rounds for 6 years now, despite efforts from Philip, Ruth and others. The management plan is now close to completion. Philip has written to propose bringing forward the cycle stands and a cycle bypass at the entrance. Thanks to Philip for his dogged work on this. Francis to write in support on behalf of HDCF.

Horsham LCWIP

Nigel Weston continues to work on this. Ruth to follow up.

Horsham contraflows

Louise emailed Forest NC with her comments on the scheme. We have heard that the neighbourhood councils are now objecting to a contraflow in Barrington Road and that it may therefore not go ahead. This should be a textbook example of a location that is ideally suited for 2-way cycling. 2-way cycling already takes place without incident (indeed motorised vehicles including a Tesco delivery van have been spotted). Philip will continue to follow up with Peter Bradley.


Thank you to Francis for his work in submitting the HDCF objection.

West Sussex Cycle Forum Meeting

This was well-attended and a very useful meeting. Minutes have been circulated.

North of Horsham

Ruth to attend the North Horsham Parish liaison meeting to hear the latest news about the takeover of the project from Liberty by Legal and General.

Christ’s Hospital Bridleway Inquiry

No news back from the Administrative Court about whether the school is going to judicial review over the result, Michael Gimber to follow up.

The way forward for the forum

A short discussion was held on the way forward for the forum. It was agreed that priorities are the Downs Link with its associated feeder routes, the Horsham-Crawley Missing Link and the LCWIP network. We could seek wider engagement via a ‘cycling manifesto’ or ‘cycle charter’ and get businesses, other organisations and individuals to sign up to it. A ‘roadshow’ of presentations to organisations could be an effective way to present the manifesto/charter. Thea continues her excellent work on the Shelley Heritage Cycle Trail.

Date of next meeting

7:30pm on Tuesday 2nd April at County Hall North, WSCC, Parkside, Chart Way, Horsham. Room to be advised.

Please enter by the side entrance. Covered cycle parking is available.

Speak Your Mind