Minutes of the HDCF meeting 5th Jan 2016

Attendees: Philip Ayerst, Ruth Fletcher (Chair), Peter Silburn (Secretary), Francis Vernon

Apologies: Geoff Farrell (WSCF), Stella Sharp

Approval of previous minutes

Approved unamended.

Matters arising

The poor road surface on Worthing Road near the Boar’s Head was raised again on Love West Sussex; no action is being taken because it was deemed below the standard intervention levels which do not take into account the specific additional hazard to cyclists in this fast, busy and narrow location.

Many of the movement-sensitive traffic lights in Horsham are not always triggered by bikes. Known examples are Hurst Road/Warnham Road, Springfield Road/Albion Way and Albion Way/North Street but there are probably others.

Peter to contact Chris Stark in the first instance to establish what the expected behaviour is and find out whether any adjustments can be made to sensitivity etc.


Task & Finish Group

There will likely be about a six week window to enter data. The software has been tested and several issues were identified which will need to resolved before WSCC are happy to use it.

There remain deep reservations about whether there will be any actual cycling infrastructure built as a result of this process but we will nevertheless make the most of the opportunity to assist and provide our input.

The output from the process is intended to be reviewed once a year, although it is unclear how this will take place. Will the cycle forum(s) need to ask for the review?

LSTF east-east route

We have yet to receive the promised documents from WSCC. Peter to chase up.


North of Horsham

No update.

Riverside Walk

Following the meeting we had in November, the Riverside Walk team have decided not to peruse additional sources of funding but are keen to forge closer links with forum. Peter to contact Jane Apostolou.


Parsonage Road cycle lanes

Still awaiting responses from WSCC and HDC. Ruth to chase up.


Comptons Lane crossing

Morwen Millson has put out a questionnaire about possible pedestrian crossings on St Leonards Road (near the Brambling Road crossing) and Harwood Road (near Bunting Close) as well as what to do about the white edge markings on Comptons Lane/St Leonards Road. These are not actually cycle lane but at their widest do provide a degree of separation.

We have written to Morwen and have arranged a meeting in the new year. Ruth and Peter had a site visit to investigate and measure road widths etc. All comments welcome. Peter to liaise with Morwen.


Planning applications

Phillip met with David Hedges of the Crawley Cycle Forum to discuss responding to planning applications. David identifies applications of interest and then a subcommittee reviews and prepares comments on the applications.

For “simple” applications Phillip will respond using the “kit of parts”. For more complex ones the details will be circulated to the steering group for comment. All the data, including copies of emails, will be stored on Dropbox. Another meeting of the planning subgroup will be called in a month.


No updates.

Widening our support base

There was a discussion about winning “hearts and minds”, possibility of holding a stall at town events etc. The steering group will meet later in the month to discuss options.


Cycle parking at the Pavilions and outside Park House. Philip to follow up.


Date of next meeting

7:30pm on Tuesday 2nd February in the Bodiam Room, County Hall North, WSCC, Parkside, Chart Way, Horsham. Please enter by the side entrance. Cycle parking is available.

Speak Your Mind